Advanced ICD-10-CM Coding [Cardiology Specific]
- 2021 New Codes are here! (Effective 10-1-2021).
- 2022 ICD-10-CM codes are to be used for patient encounters and admissions on or after Oct. 1, 2021 through Sept. 30, 2022.
- This update brings 159 additions, 25 deletions, and 27 revisions. ICD-10-CM 2022 goes into effect Oct. 1, 2021.
- Chapter 2 now includes three new codes. Added are two codes to capture bilateral ovarian malignancies, allowing classification as malignant or secondary malignant neoplasm.
- The 2022 code set brings five new codes to Chapter 3 Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs and Certain Disorders Involving the Immune Mechanism (D50-D89).
- The updates to Chapter 6 Diseases of the Nervous System (G00-G99) relate primarily to the 10 new codes in these areas.
HANDLE SPECIAL CARDIOLOGY SITUATIONS
- Is a patient responding to Medication? T-Codes to define compliance and non-compliance.
- Real patient examples to reflect accurate coding for 2021 update.
- Cardiology specific examples will be discussed.
- The 2022 code set adds 14 codes to Chapter 18, signs and symptons. Many coders have probably memorized R05 Cough, but R05 is not reportable code in the 2022
- code set. Instead, use one of the six new codes, which provide added specificity to cough. More to come.
- The 2022 code set does add one code to Chapter 9: I5A Non-ischemic myocardial injury (non-traumatic) with directions on code usage.
- The remainder of the 2022 updates to Chapter 9 for Cardiology involve additions and modifications to excludes 1/2 and Code first notes. We will cover them all.